Frequently Asked Questions


What do you do as a celebrant?

My role as your celebrant is to create your perfect ceremony. I work closely with you to write a ceremony that reflects who you are and why the day is important to you. You can meet with me and contact me as many times as you like as we go through the details, and I will be available to you for a rehearsal prior to your date.

Importantly, I complete all your legal paperwork and lodge it with Births, Deaths and Marriages within 14 days of the ceremony taking place to officially register the marriage.

All celebrants, including myself, must conform to a strict Code of Practice as described by the Attorney-General’s Department. You can ask me for these details at any time.

Return to top


How far out do I need to book a celebrant?

Celebrants can book out quickly, especially around the peak season, so earlier is better to secure the your choice of celebrant. Every year, there is at least one weekend which is super popular, and it can be hard to find a celebrant if you delay securing your celebrant.

With a wedding, you have to complete legal paperwork  before the wedding date. The Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) needs to be filled out no earlier than 18 months before the ceremony and no later than 1 month before. There are some circumstances which the time can be shortened, but it is not guaranteed that a shortening will be approved.

Return to top


How long does a ceremony take?

That is entirely up to you. Depending on what you want included in your ceremony, it could be as little as 10 minutes long or as an hour. Most times, ceremonies usually last between 20 and 30 minutes, but it’s more important to make sure your ceremony is a reflection of you than sticking to a prescribed amount of time.

Return to top


What documents will the bride and groom need to provide?

In order to prove your date of birth and place of birth, you will need to bring one of:

  • An official (original) certificate of birth, or an official extract of an entry in an official register showing the date and place of birth of the party, or;
  • A passport issued by the Australian government or a government of an overseas country showing the date and place of birth of the party, or;
  • A statutory declaration from the party or the party’s parent stating:
    • it is impracticable (this does not mean not practical or convenient; it means impossible) to obtain an official birth certificate or extract, and the reasons why, and;
    • to the best of the declarant’s knowledge and belief and as accurately as the declarant has been able to ascertain, when and where the party was born.

I will need to sight photo identification for you both to prove your identification for the forms.

Additionally, if you have been previously married, I will need to see any documents that show how the marriage ended (divorce, annulment or death).

Return to top


Do we need witnesses?

Yes, you will both need your own witness for the ceremony and to sign the certificates. Your witnesses can be anyone, but they must be at least 18 years of age. It’s a special way to include someone important to you in your ceremony.

Return to top


Are there restrictions on where or when we can get married?

No! As long as the ceremony is in Australia, you can be married anywhere, anytime, anyplace. Some places (e.g. gardens and beaches) will require you get a permit to marry there, so it is best to contact the council to make sure all is organised. You would hate to arrive on your special day and find out someone else has the location booked.

Return to top

© Copyright Storrie Celebrations